Founded in 2003 Linkedin has over 706 million members, 50 million listed companies and is available in 24 languages with members in 200 countries. 43 percent of LinkedIn users are female and 57 percent are male. It is the largest professional network.
Top 45 countries by number of Linkedin members
Summary of Linked Statistics 2020
- Over 706 million total members worldwide
- Over 72% of total members are outside of the United States.
- 55 job applications submitted every second
- 7 seconds between every Linkedin hire
- 50 million companies are listed on Linkedin
- 189 million+ members in North America
- 160 million+ members in Europe
- 190 million+ members in Asia
- 104 million+ members in Latin America
- 61 million+ members in the Middle East and Africa
- 20 million open jobs listed
- 90k schools listed
- Linkedin has over 33 offices and 16,000 employees
- Over 11 million+ C-level exec members globally
- 5.4 million+ small business owners members globally
- IT decision-makers 6.6 million+ members globally
The search trend for Linkedin has more than doubled over the past 10 years according to Google trends.
Linkedin Financials and Info
1. Microsoft paid 26.2 Billion at $196 per share for Linkedin in June 2016.
2. Linkedin has had a 20% year over year growth in FY20.
3. Linkedin generated over 6.7 billion dollars in revenue in 2019
4. Linkedin has tiered pricing for its plans
- Premium Career $29.99 minimum per month
- Premium Business $47.99 minimum per month
- Sales Navigator $64.99 minimum per month
- Recruiter Lite $99.95 minimum per month
Linkedin Demographic Statistics
1. More than 72% of Linkedin users are from outside the United States.
2. Over 46 million students and recent graduates are on Linkedin
3. According to Statistica, 43% of Linkedin users are female and 57% are male
4. A breakdown of Internet users in the United States who use LinkedIn based on age by Statistica
- 15-25 years old: 16%
- 26-35 years old: 27%
- 36-45 years old: 34%
- 46-55 years old: 37%
- 56+ years old: 29%
5. 29% of males online and 24% of females online use Linkedin according to the Pew research center.
6. 51% of college graduates use Linkedin which is an increase from previous years.
7. Recent data suggests 11% of people 65 or older use Linkedin
Linkedin Content Marketing Statistics and Info
1. There are currently over 50 million companies listed on Linkedin making it a great source for generating leads.
2. Over 92% of B2B marketers use LinkedIn to distribute content making it a top source for lead generation.
3. Linkedin has 15x more content impressions than job postings 57% of those are mobile making it a digital marketing powerhouse.
4. Linkedin has 9 billion content impressions and over 280 billion feed views annually in its userbase. This makes it a key for creating brand awareness for most companies.
5. Content shared across LinkedIn was up nearly 50% year-over-year in June 2020. Companies can also share content directly from their company page on Linkedin.
6. Linkedin had a 4X Year-over-year increase in Learning hours watched in June 2020 with an 89% increase in live streams sinch March 2020 making it a great source for lead generation.
7. 46% of social media traffic to your company site comes from LinkedIn.
8. 80% of B2B marketing leads from social media come through LinkedIn.
9. Linkedin has over 61 million senior-level opinion leaders and 40 Million in decision making positions making it a top spot for generating leads.
10. More than 1 million people are publishing articles on Linkedin as influencers creating quality content.
11. Article titles between 40-49 characters long perform best according to Okdork who analyzed 3000 blog posts
12. Having 8 images in your post is correlated with the most likes, views, shares, and comments.
13. How-to articles and list posts tend to perform the best according to Okdork they also make a point to avoiding creating question posts.
14. 2,000 words plus long-form content performs the best on Linkedin.
15. Content for articles should be written at an 11th grade level with a neutral tone.
16. Thursday is the best day of the week to post your article for the maximum number of views.
17. LinkedIn has stated that page updates which include links may see up to a 45% higher follower engagement compared to updates without links.
18. Members of Linkedin are 20x more likely to share a video on LinkedIn than any other post type
19. A Hubspot study reveals LinkedIn generates close to 3 times more conversions than Facebook or Twitter at 277%.
Linkedin Usage Statistics
1. 99.62% of Linkedin traffic is organic according to Similar web
2. More than 90% of recruiters use Linkedin weekly.
3. Linkedin internal research shows having a profile picture on your personal Linkedin page increases views 14x over profiles with no picture.
4. Over 2 Million small businesses use Linkedin to hire employees
5. Linkedin Traffic by source
- 71.29% is direct traffic
- 22.80% is from search
- 2.51% is from email
- 2.11% is from referral sites
- 1.18% is from social
- 0.10% is from display advertising
6. According to Alexa, LinkedIn users spend an average of 10:35 minutes on the site each day with 8.46 Daily Pageviews per visit, and it ranks #58 in global internet traffic and engagement.
7. Data from Ahrefs shows Linkedin has 19,868,318,606 backlinks and 11,458,407 referring domains with a domain rating of 98. When creating a marketing strategy Linkedin should be near the top of the list.
8. Moz database shows that Linkedin ranks for over 15.7 million keywords in Google. Making it a top destination for marketers creating business-related quality content.
Linkedin Connection Statistics
According to Linkedin’s social media manager guide employees on average have 10 times the connections as their company has followers on LinkedIn.
Data from Linkedin shows the following most connected countries, industries, and job functions by an average number of connections.
The top 5 most connected countries are:
- UAE with 211 average connections
- The Netherlands with 188 average connections
- Singapore with 152 average connections
- The United Kingdom with 144 average connections
- Denmark with 143 average connections
Top 5 most connected industries are:
- Staffing and recruiting with 702 average connections
- Venture capital and private equity with 423 average connections
- Human resources with 380 average connections
- Management consulting with 304 average connections
- Online media with 303 average connections
Top 5 most connected job functions are:
- Human resources with 415 average connections
- Product management with 324 average connections
- Business development with 283 average connections
- Marketing with 272 average connections
- Consulting with 244 average connections
Linkedin Popularity Compared to Other Social Networks
Recent data shows the following percentages of adults who use social media while Linkedin is the top site in the business world it still lags behind other social media platforms.
- Youtube at 73%
- Facebook at 69%
- Instagram at 37%
- Pinterest at 28%
- Linkedin at 27%
- Twitter at 22%
Additional data shows the demographics usage between Linkedin, Facebook, and Instagram. Linkedin is used slightly more by men worldwide than women though the gap is small.
Members in the range of 30-49 years of age are the largest demographic that use Linkedin.
|% of U.S. adults who use each social media platform|
|High school or less||61%||33%||9%|
Linkedin vs Xing
Xing has more than 18 million members which is much smaller than Linkedin’s userbase of 706 million. However, Xing’s impact on the European market more prominent. Xing has over 18 million users in the DACH (Germany, Austria, and Switzerland) area while LinkedIn currently has only 15 million.
Linkedin continues to see year over year user growth and with no strong competitors insight, it will continue that trend for years to come.